Some bookkeepers, especially those with bachelor’s degrees in accounting, may decide to become certified public accountants (CPAs). CPAs have similar job responsibilities to bookkeepers, but must also analyze data, suggest best practices, and make predictions. There are high stakes when managing a business’s financial statements, which can lead to stress. However, if you have a rigorous organizational system and a solid knowledge of rules and regulations, it can be straightforward and easily manageable. Bookkeeping can be a great side hustle if you’re good at it and enjoy the work.
The courses cover bookkeeping, Microsoft Excel, business math, and payroll administration. As an alternative to accounting, bookkeeping is an appealing field for professionals who want to work with financial statements and computers. This profession has fewer entry-level requirements than accounting, meaning that individuals may be able to become bookkeepers more quickly than they would accountants. Bookkeepers use accounting software and bookkeeping software to oversee and record financial transactions, financial statements, and financial data. Bookkeepers prepare bank deposits, financial documents, annual financial reports, and income statements.
Be a part of the virtual network
The primary difference between the AIPB’s certification and NACPB’s license is the resulting title. Those credentialed by AIPB earn the Certified Bookkeeper (CB) designation. Those who earn licensure through NACPB gain the Certified Public Bookkeeper https://www.bookstime.com/articles/accounting-technology-for-the-future (CPB) title. While single-entry bookkeeping is simpler, double-entry is more thorough and less likely to produce errors. Let us know what type of degree you’re looking into, and we’ll find a list of the best programs to get you there.
- Kelly is an SMB Editor specializing in starting and marketing new ventures.
- If you’d like to build a solid foundation that leads to a thriving bookkeeping business, I highly recommend Bookkeeper Launch and their free discovery series.
- After completing your education, you can seek an internship and get on-the-job training to become a bookkeeper.
- You can attend some colleges in your area or enroll in online bookkeeping classes via online accreditation organizations or other online bookkeeping courses.
- If this sounds like the type of side hustle you would like to pursue, start applying for jobs that will allow you to work remotely as a proofreader.
- Once you become a qualified bookkeeper, you can work as a permanent employee or freelancer.
Simply put, bookkeepers are responsible for all financial activity and oversight of a business. They record and organize financial statements, ensure compliance with important tax rules, and facilitate all ingoing and outgoing payments on specific business accounts. The role can function as a part-time job to supplement other income, or you can be a full-time bookkeeper. If you become a QuickBooks Live bookkeeper, you can work from home based upon an agreed schedule at a set hourly rate based on your location, interview, and experience level.
A Guide to Bookkeeping: Skills, Salaries, and Careers
With an Intuit job, you’ll be expected to work shifts Monday through Friday for 20 or so hours. Freelance bookkeepers can find work on Upwork by searching the site or by sharing how to get a job as a bookkeeper their resumes with potential clients. You can find work from home assignments through job search boards or social media, or you can network with bookkeepers in your area.